We know that you may have questions about our services, your treatment plan and related healthcare issues as one of SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics’ patients. That’s why we’ve listed answers to the most frequently asked questions you may have. If you don’t see the answer to your question, please contact us at (630) 665-9155 and a member of our office staff will be more than happy to help you. Our patient service representatives are available by telephone Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00p.m.
How do I make or reschedule an appointment?
Making or rescheduling appointments is a rather simple process. You can:
- Call us at 630-665-9155 or contact us online.
- Request a non-emergent appointment here on the web site
Do you take walk-ins or same day appointments?
YES. We know that when you’re hurt, you want and often need to see a doctor the same day. Simply, call or contact us at 630-665-9155 and our staff will work diligently to get you seen as soon as possible.
What to expect at my first appointment?
When you visit our clinic, your physician will assess your medical condition, discuss treatment options with you and then assist you in selecting the most effective treatment plan to help you achieve and maintain an active and functional life-style. The physician may use diagnostic imaging during your appointment to help determine your course of treatment. Our doctors use a conservative approach often suggesting other forms of treatment prior to recommending surgery.
What should I bring to my appointment?
To ensure a smooth and speedy check-in for your appointment, please bring the items listed below with you.
- Your insurance cards
- A picture ID (e.g. Drivers License, School ID)
- Physician referral forms – if required by your insurance
- List of prescriptions, over-the-counter medication and/or supplements, including dose and frequency
- Information about your medical and surgical history
- Recent x-rays or scans (i.e. MRI or CAT scans)
We require you to complete a medical history form at your appointment. To save time download the New Patient Forms to complete and bring with you to your appointment. Please do not sign or date the forms prior to your appointment.
What Insurance Plans do You Accept?
We accept most major insurance plans, but if you don’t see yours below, please contact us as we try to work with all patients regardless of insurance coverage.
(Note: NWM refers to Northwestern Medicine/Cadence; IHP refers to Illinois Health Partners.)
- Aetna PPO, POS & HMO
- BCBS PPO & BCBS Blue Choice
- BLUE CROSS HMO of IL (only through NWM or IHP)
- Blue Cross Precision Health HMO (only through NWM or IHP)
- Blue Cross MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Alignment Initiative through IHP)
- BCBS Blue Advantage HMO (only through NWM or IHP)
- Beech Street PPO
- Cigna/Great West – HMO & PPO
- Coventry (see Aetna)
- Coventy Medicare Advantage Plan
- HFN PPO (Healthcare’s Finest Network)
- Humana – PPO & POS: HMO (through IHP)
- Humana Gold Medicare Advantage HMO (through IHP)
- Land of Lincoln (through IHP)
- Multi-Plan/PHCS/Beech Street PPO
- Personal Care (Coventry/First Health)
- PNA (Preferred Network Access) PPO
- PPO Next (formerly Healthstar/PHN)
- Preferred Plan PPO/Interplan/Health Smart
- PHCS (see Multi-Plan)
- Sterling Options (Medicare Advantage Plan)
- TriCare Standard
- TriCare Prime
- TriCare for Life (for Medicare-Eligible Patients)
- Unicare/HealthLink – PPO, POS & HMO
- United Healthcare: Options PPO, Choice, Select Plus, EPO, HMO, FFS Open Access, Golden Rule PPO
- United Healthcare Medicare Advantage Plans: Erickson, Evercare, Secure Horizons
- United Healthcare Navigate
- Wheaton College Student Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
Do you handle Workers Compensation cases?
YES. SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics is committed to providing workers’ compensation patients with the highest level of care and compassion. Our specialists strive to restore your function and mobility to get you back to work in a timely and efficient manner.
For patients, we provide prompt, specialty-trained orthopedic care for virtually all areas of the body at our Carol Stream and Naperville locations. Our physicians will first consider nonsurgical, conservative treatment and only recommend surgery if absolutely necessary.
If you are injured at work, be sure to report the injury to your employer. We need authorization from your employer’s workers compensation carrier before we can process any of your medical claims. It is your responsibility to provide us with name and phone number of the contact person at your place of employment. If we are unable to get authorization prior to your appointment your claims will be billed to your medical insurance. Any denied claims will be your financial responsibility.
To schedule an appointment with SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics, please call our appointment line at 630-665-9155, and a member of our staff will be happy to assist you.
How do I access the Patient Portal?
Our Patient Portal operated by SRSsoft. To access it you will need an ID and Password from a Patient Service Representative. The portal allows you to view and send a summary of your medical information and securely message your SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics physician with a question, comment or prescription refill. Contact us to learn more.
PLEASE NOTE: Our Patient Portal is not for messages of an urgent nature. Please call our office directly at 630-665-9155 if you concern requires immediate attention.
How can I get a copy of my medical records?
If you need a copy of your medical records, please complete the Medical Records Request Form and fax to our office at 630-665-9770. A small fee may apply for these copies.
Do you provide work or school notes?
YES. For some orthopaedic injuries and procedures specific restrictions or time off from work, school or sports may be needed. Contact your physician via the Patient Portal or by calling 630-665-9155 and leave a message with the medical staff if a note is needed.
Can you help me file for FMLA?
YES. We understand when you or a family member are injured or have surgery, recovery time off from work may be required. Please complete Patient’s Portion (Section A) of the Form Completion Request. Submit Form Completion request along with proper payment and FMLA Forms via fax at (630-665-9770) or bring them to one of our offices. Please understand that payment for these services via cash, check, or credit card will be necessary before forms can be completed and distributed.
Can you help me file for Disability Insurance?
YES. We understand when you are injured or have surgery, you may have Disability Insurance that will provide some income during your recovery time. Please complete Patient’s Portion (Section A) of the Form Completion Request. Submit Form Completion request along with proper payment and Disability Forms via fax (630-665-9770) or bring them to one of our offices. Please understand that payment for these services via cash, check, or credit card will be necessary before forms can be completed and distributed.
Can you help me obtain a Disabled Parking Placard?
YES. We understand when you are injured or have surgery, you may have a need for a Disabled Parking Placard. Please complete Patient’s Portion (Section A) of the Form Completion Request and well as Part 1 of the Persons with Disabilities Certification for Parking Placard/License Plates Form. (Form VSD 62). Submit both of these forms along with proper payment and the) via fax (630-665-9770) or bring them to one of our offices. There is no charge for us to complete this form for you.
How do I Pay My Bill?
Making a payment to SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics is rather simple. To do so, you can:
- Mail your payment to: 350 S. Northwest Highway, Suite 200, Park Ridge, IL 60068.
- Drop off your payment at one of our locations in Carol Stream or Naperville.
- Pay your bill here on the website.
- Call us at 847-720-7472.
- For ALL billing questions, please call 847-720-7472.
For detailed information on our Financial Policy, please read here or request a copy from a SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics staff member.
What hospitals do you work with?
SportsMed-Wheaton Orthopaedics is affiliated with the following hospital/ambulatory surgical centers:
- Central DuPage Hospital
25 N. Winfield Road
Winfield, IL 60190
- Edward Hospital
801 S. Washington Street
Naperville, IL 60540
- Center for Surgery
475 E. Diehl Road
Naperville, IL 60563
- Valley Ambulatory Surgery Center
2210 Dean Street
St. Charles, IL 60175